How to Make the Ultimate Burger
Some things just don’t seem to belong together. Black and navy blue. Cowboy fans and Steelers fans. Taylor Swift and, well, most anyone she’s dated. Sadly, two of America’s greatest pastimes, eating burgers and watching our weight, have long been on that same collision course. Until now.
This recipe for a classic beef burger, compliments of the new Zero Belly Cookbook, will make both your abs and kitchen reputation pop.
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 lb extra lean ground beef (at least 90%)
3 tbsp Black Pepper Marinade
1 tsp kosher salt
4 gluten-free english muffins or burger buns, toasted
1 beefsteak tomato, cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
8 leaves Bibb lettuce 2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
• In a large bowl mix the ground beef, Black Pepper Marinade, and salt, and let sit for 10 minutes.
• While the beef is marinating, turn on the outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium high heat.
• Form the beef mixture into 4 patties and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. The center should be pink and juicy.
• Spread each toasted burger bun top with 1⁄2 tablespoon ketchup and 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
• Place a burger on each toasted burger bun bottom, and top with slices of red tomato, 2 lettuce leaves, and a burger top.
To make the Black Pepper Marinade
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
1/2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
3 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
• Grind the coriander seeds, peppercorns and cumin seeds in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder until very fine.
• Add the remaining ingredients to a small food processor, and puree until smooth. Add the ground spices and process to incorporate.
• Store in a BPA-free glass jar in the fridge or up to one week.
Yield: 1 cup
Cook time: 5 minutes
Comments are closed.